Reading #1: So You Want to Become a Graphic Designer

This book isn't a "How to for Dummies" resource, but rather, a book that offers a deeper insight as to why one would want to become a graphic designer. And, how to be a more creative designer.
We live in a world where people have the technology to be graphic designers at their finger tips.
Because of this, there is a massive sea of amateur work. Amateur work then devalues the industry because "any Tom and Jane can do it" now.
But it takes a creative and passionate designer to create professional and valued work.

"What do you want from a field that offers so much but requires a lot in return?"
I want to be able to create things and continue growing and using my imagination to create visual images. I want to offer an alternative view and expression. I want to better understand this field rather than view it in a negative manner.

Graphic design is like a huge galaxy with many solar systems, and many planets. There are a variety of industries, or solar systems, with many sub-industries, or planets.
Despite these many groups graphic designers all share a fundamental knowledge, and vocabulary which I believe separates amateurs from professionals.
Design programs, and templates, may be able to do the majority of the work for the user. But what the user does not know is the "why" behind their design decisions aside from "it looks good that way".
Being able to understand the "why" behind your design decision allows you, the designer, to produce a more creative and thought-provoking design.

Milton Glaser talked about influence and ideas which reminded me of Larry and the memes.
Ideas are floating all around us and we should strive to listen and absorb those ideas in the stream.
It's ok to be influenced by others, especially what has been done.

I also liked his thoughts on staying interested in your job after x amount of years. It's important to contemplate the path you're about to go down, and if you're willing to commit for so many years. And if you do so, how do you continue to keep things fresh? How do you prevent that fire from going out?
I find that I want to be an illustrator because it allows me to be creative in ways that I don't feel other planets of graphic design offer. I feel more creative, and inspired, thinking about illustrating a new children's book or journal cover compared to designing a logo or a brochure.

"What motivated you to become a graphic designer?"
I don't call myself a graphic designer, but I've always had a passion for drawing and good imagery.
I would collect images from everywhere (magazines, packaging, etc) and hang them up on my walls as a giant collage. But, when I think about graphic design as a whole my eyes kind of glaze over.
Everything looks the same to me when it comes to graphic design. Which, I want to place blame on the large rise of amateur designers.
A big motivator for me to jump into this galaxy of graphic design was the fact that I wanted to create better design and imagery for the world--better design that outshines amateur work to make graphic design less boring and bland.
The more I look and study good design in the world the more I appreciate what designers do. Especially good package design.
I've always been a sucker for good package design.